What better way to start the new year than with a big bowl of this beautiful detox soup? It warms me up while building my immune system and trust me, I need all the help I can get this time of year. It is so important to build my immune system up so I can fight off what the cold winter brings my way. With all the germs I am exposed to on a daily basis, I can eat this soup and be rest assured that it will give me much-needed nourishment.
The ingredients are known for their detoxing and cleansing properties. The great flavor of the vegetables are blended with a little cinnamon, turmeric and ginger. This is a great soup to quickly whip up when the cold weather is howling outside. I love eating this soup while curled up on the sofa wrapped in my favorite blanket.
- 6 1/4 cups water (or broth)
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 chopped celery stocks
- 4 sliced carrots
- 1 head broccoli florets, separated
- 1 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. In a large pot, add 1/4 cup water and turn the heat on medium-high.
2. When hot, add the onion and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes.
3. Add celery, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes and ginger.
4. Cook for 3 minutes. Add more water if needed.
5. Stir in turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add the 6 cups of water or broth.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are soft.
8. Add kale, cabbage and lemon juice.
9. Simmer for a few minutes more. Enjoy!
— Leilani Hampton