My everyday chores can really bring some unwanted extra aches and pains. Carrying extra wood into the house for the wood stove, unloading extra bags of feed for my horses — all of it adds to the stress of my muscles.
I can always reach for Ibuprofen but I really don’t want the possible side effects. After all, listening to the advertisements about the risks can be very unnerving.
Now I have a salve that will fight those everyday aches and pains with a much more natural approach. I know that I can get relief and not worry about unwanted issues. If you enjoy having more natural products at hand, this recipe is one you will want to make.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp calendula infused oil (optional)
- 15 drops wintergreen essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops marjoram essential oil
- Glass jar with a lid (or tins with lids)
- Cheesecloth for straining
1. Gather the ingredients and supplies.
2. Measure out the ingredients.
3. Place all ingredients, except the essential oils, into a glass microwaveable measuring cup.
4. Place in the microwave and heat just until melted.
5. Place the cheesecloth over glass bowl and carefully pour out the mix. Squeeze out as much oil as possible.
6. Add the essential oils.
7. Stir really well.
8. Pour into the glass jar or tins.
9. Let cool. The salve will harden if you place it in the refrigerator.
Test this salve on a small area of your skin to makes sure it is not too hot for you. The cayenne pepper can create heat. If it is too hot and causes a rash or skin irritation, it can be diluted with a carrier oil. Just retest another small area to get the result you are looking for.
This salve can be stored in a dark and cool place for up to one year. If it is a warm day and it starts to melt, just pop it in the refrigerator for a few minutes and it will harden again.
— Leilani Hampton