Fight Inflammation with This Turmeric and Lemon Morning Elixir

fightinflammationturmericlemon_640x359

Starting the day with your morning routine may suit your needs just fine. A bit of yoga, maybe meditation, a shower, a healthy breakfast with organic coffee, and then out the door. Does this sound familiar? If so, your morning routine is already exceptional. But we have a mighty elixir that can compliment your regimen wonderfully.

You may have heard that warm lemon water will get those pipes working in the morning and optimize your health. You may even drink warm lemon water with Himalayan salt, or warm lemon water with honey in the morning. However, have you heard of warm lemon water combined with honey, cinnamon, and the most essential ingredient to this morning elixir, turmeric? If you have yet to try this one, you may be missing out on an excellent way to begin your day. All-natural lemon and turmeric are especially powerful ingredients that boast a wealth of beneficial properties.

Lemons offer a tasty, tart flavor with many health-promoting properties. According to a study published in the Chemistry Central Journal (2015), lemons possess a treasure trove of natural metabolites. The study authors state, “Citrus fruits exhibit plentiful bioactivities including antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, antimicrobial and anti-allergy activities, as well as cardiovascular effect, neuroprotective effect, hepatoprotective effect, obesity control, etc.” Lemons are indeed a healthy ingredient to enjoy at the beginning of the day. However, when you couple lemon with turmeric, your health and wellness benefits increase significantly.

Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a yellow-orange spice that is part of the ginger family. Native to tropical South Asia, turmeric is well known in traditional Asian medicine and cuisine. More recently, its health benefits have been recognized in Western medicine. According to a study published in the Journal of Nephropathology (2012), “Turmeric, a neglected Asian traditional drug might reemerge as remedy and/or preventive tool for various illnesses including different type of cancers, obesity, type-2 diabetes, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, CKD [chronic kidney disease] and ESRD [end stage renal disease], which are steadily increasing globally, claiming many lives and tremendous amount of resources worldwide.”

One active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, has been the focus of several academic studies.

Curcumin may alleviate inflammation: According to research from the Department of Stomatology at the University of California, San Francisco, curcumin possesses anti-inflammatory properties. The research, published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine (2004), found that curcumin, “may exert its anti-inflammatory activity by inhibition of a number of different molecules that play a role in inflammation.”

fightinflammationturmericlemon_640x359Curcumin’s anticancer potential: Curcumin may play a vital role in cancer prevention, according to a study published in BioMed Research International (2014). Previous research has highlighted curcumin’s antioxidant, antibacterial and antitumor properties, according to the study, which concluded, “Curcumin, a vital constituent of the spice turmeric, is an alternative approach in the prevention of cancer.”

Therapeutic applications of curcumin: According to a review study published in the AAPS Journal (2013), “curcumin has shown therapeutic potential against a number of human diseases,” including multiple types of cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, arthritis, peptic ulcers, psoriasis, H. pylori infection, Alzheimer’s disease, acute coronary syndrome, atherosclerosis, diabetes, and respiratory tract infections.

The Turmeric and Lemon Morning Elixir
What you’ll need…

• ½ a lemon, squeezed for juice
  • ¼ – ½ tsp turmeric
  • ½ tsp honey
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1 cup warm water, or milk

How to make it…
Mix the lemon juice, turmeric and honey into your cup of warm water or milk. You will want to stir these ingredients well. Add cinnamon on top and continue to stir your morning elixir as you drink it — this will ensure that the turmeric does not settle at the bottom of your cup.

Turmeric with its main active ingredient, curcumin, may be that one healthy addition to your morning routine you’ve been looking for. I enjoy this elixir nearly every morning with fruit, which adds a sweet, delicious twist.

What healthy alternatives get your morning off to a perfect start?

Discover 5 Science-Backed Reasons to Drink Lemon Water EVERY Day (cancer, diabetes and more)

—Stephen Seifert

Sources:

Recommended Articles

Comments

Comments

1. Debra says

Don’t forget to add black pepper which makes the turmeric work more efficiently.

2. 0ShiftingParadigms0 says

Why black pepper? How much? Can grains of paradise be used as an alternative to adding black pepper?

3. Jurgy says

I don’t know the chemistry, but I have learned that you need piperine, which comes from pepper, to help your body absorb the curcumin …

4. Valerie says

Im allergic to honey , what else do u suyggest I use n the lemon, turnmic, cinnamon & honey drink????

5. Theresa Corbett says

Best form of Tumeric? Juiced, fresh ground, powdered? I heard that juiced is best, I don’t own a juicer yet. But I can shred mine. Thank you!

6. Degee says

Sounds like a plan here, does one need to drink this before anything else? Meaning on an empty stomach? And if so, how long does one wait to eat?

A suggestion: I know what lemon in water will do to me, so i want to be home for a while afterwards. I’m going to go halfies on this when i know I’ll be home for a bit until i see how this “goes” with me so to speak. If lemon water does similar to you, be aware this might be even more of San “encourager” 😉

7. Rene says

WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE PEPPER, MY MOTHER AND I BEEN DOING THIS FOR SOME YEARS, SHE HAD ALL KINDS OF TROUBLE WITH HER JOINTS, KNEES AND LEGS, SHE MADE THIS MIXTURE BEFORE YOU WERE AN ITCH IN YOUR MOMMA’S PANTS, SHE HAS NEVER ADDED PEPPER, AND ALL HER PAIN IS GONE, MY KNEES STOPPED HURTING ALSO. YOU DO NOT NEED PEPPER. ALWAYS A DUMB BUNNY ON HERE TRYING TO GIVE ADVICE. THIS EMAIL THAT WAS SENT DOESN’T EVEN SAY USE PEPPER. GET OFF HERE WITH THIS PEPPER CRAP!!!!

8. BelieverinGod says

I will drink hot oolong/green tea with adding apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice, turmeric and cinnamon. I’ve become accustomed to not adding any sweetener, unless I’ve got a cold starting, and then I add some buckwheat honey or raw honey.

9. Rene says

Just as I thought no pepper needed so unless you are an expert shut the hell up! And even if you are shut the he’ll up. No pepper needed.

10. Ellen says

What will it hurt to add a little pepper if it makes this work more efficiently? Glad to read your post telling how it helped your Mom even without the pepper. Did she drink it before she had anything else in her system or after her breakfast and morning coffee ( if she drinks coffee)?

11. Jayebird58 says

Rene, Chill The Fuck Out! You can drink anything you want anytime you want! Caps Off Bitch! lol

12. trmlogan says

I appreciate your advice, but there is no need to shout or degrade others. Simply share the effect drinking this has had on your mom! I’m glad because I am allergic to black pepper, so it’s good to know that it’s not really needed. Civil discourse is a great attribut that we should all cultivate!

13. Robin says

Studies have shown that pepper increases the absorption of turmeric. No one is saying that this does not work without pepper, simply that pepper may increase the effectiveness. hope you are able to make peace with your anger issues.

14. Marjorie Roy says

I credit you and agree with your courteous reply. I’m all for using the pepper also (I always use it) since it has been proven to help the absorption and efficiency way more than the turmeric alone. I add both to soups, vegetable smoothies and to my lemon/water/ honey drink I have upon getting up in the AM. I’m told and have read this lemon drink is best taken on an empty stomach first thing when getting up after a nights sleep.

15. Phyllis says

I’ve been making this lemon/tumeric drink for a few weeks now. I do add a dash of black pepper as well a trace of cayenne. But I’ve been icing it since the weather has gotten hot. Does that make it less effective? Does it really need to be warm? I also wait about a half hour or so before I eat breakfast once I’ve finished it. I haven’t noticed any significant difference in how I feel, by the way. Still have chronic pain in shoulders/neck and hips/legs/feet.

To update, I’ve been adding 1 Tbs of apple cider vinegar to the above recipe, and am drinking it warm now as well. I’ve also started having a cup of warm lemon water, ACV, sweetner and cinnamon and 1 tsp of tart cherry juice to help me sleep and hopefully ease the hot flashes, about 2 hours before bed.

16. nnchin1 says

Adding ground black pepper increases the absorption rate of circumin by 400 per cent. This is a fact

17. says

I have been drinking lemon and cayenne every morning for a few months, but I think I will give this a try now. As I age, I have noticed my joints being more sore. However, I am aging gracefully. 🙂

I have heard you do need pepper included in order for the body to absorb the curcumin from the turmeric. I will add some pepper as well.

I think if you take this drink without the pepper it will still provide you with many benefits however. 😉

18. Shirley says

why does that “F” word have to be used…these are suggestions can’t people just get along or as your mother told you….if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all…..

19. Donna Rhodes says

The pepper you are talking about is regular black pepper? Or would the cayenne pepper be best? Or both? Also…how much do you use? Thanks!

20. Donna Rhodes says

Thank you for the quick response! I’m starting this tomorrow morning and will let everyone know how well it works on my arthritis!

21. john says

I have heard cracked black pepper corn releases the compound needed,plus whole tumeric root is best. Some powered curcumin is processed that has no health value. Use REAL LEMON JUICE, NOT the store bought lemon juice in bottles.

22. Christine says

Hi I started drinking this and use turmeric root. Do I need to grate it or can I just cut a small piece and add it to the tea?

23. Jeanne DeSilver says

Perhaps you haven’t read the thread. Jayebird used the F word in response to a couple of other posts (by Rene, in caps & using the words “crap” and “hell”). Other people tried responding nicely to Rene to which she responded “Shut the hell up”.

24. Dani Hogan says

Wow. I see that “some folks” are getting a little rabid about the black pepper addition. Well, I am a registered dietitian, a certified herbalist, & nutritionist & I can tell you that utilizing black pepper absolutely helps absorb the curcumin in turmeric, thereby increasing the benefits. No one is saying that, if you don’t add black pepper, you won’t experience any benefits at all…….just that adding the black pepper will increase those benefits exponentially. It’s completely optional, but adding the pepper is what I would recommend & what I do myself. Peace, Love, & Great Health

25. TigreNoir says

The average curcumin capsule has 3-5mg of piperine, the extract from black pepper. To equal that amount in black pepper would absolutely ruin the elixir. I suggest buying a supply of piperine, like Bio-perine and take a capsule every time you drink the elixir. Ya Heard!

26. TigreNoir says

Here’s my take on it. The liver processes turmeric very quickly, not allowing it to be absorbed. Only about 5% gets by. Black pepper slows the process down increasing its bioavailability to over 150%. Piperine, black pepper extract, increases the bioavailability by 2000%. Can you dig it?

27. Alex M says

May I offer an alternative , NOT used in any test , but maybe even better.
    Buy fresh turmeric ( the bio-shop where I live imports it from Peru year round ) put it in the deep frezer.,
    Scrape of the rind before use, Peel 1 whole citrus. Along with ANY other ingredients you like ( pepper ,
    honey , cinnamon , stevia ,whatever ) put it in a blender with hot water and blend.
    Don’t worry about the taste , it tastes very good. Enjoy.

28. luxury says

Hie guys. i have been following all your comments with keen interest. and thank you very much for the constructive insights. however instead of some people throwing tantrums like the “F” word and all, I was expecting someone to tell us how long they have been taking this Elixir and what sort of changes they have noticed. that is “the before and the after”.. with or without the additives….

29. Moon L says

Atleast a 2% Organic WARM Milk (if not, a little Ghee or Coconut oil) with Turmeric and 2 pinches of Black Pepper must be taken which then turns to elixir in our body.

30. Alex says

Yes Moon , I agree. I forgot to mention I use 1/2 warm water 1/2 Almond milk to make my blend. The fresh turmeric is the size of a womans little finger. I make a tall beerglass full,
    and drink it not only in the morning , but during the day. As you mention , ghee, coconut oil
    and coconut milk are also okay. Alex M