With melon season upon us, fruit stands and supermarkets around the country are loaded with ripe and juicy melons of all types. Melons are not only a sweet summer treat, but are also high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Low in calories, but big on taste, melons contain vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium and lycopene. Don’t miss your chance to enjoy this fruit while it is in season.
Cantaloupe is the tasty orange fruit we all know and love. This is the most popular type of melon found in supermarkets across the country.
Casaba is a variety of honeydew melon. It is green in color with a yellow rind.
This is a large greenish-yellow melon with tasty pink fruit.
Honeydew is a tasty melon with a pale green fruit and greenish-yellow skin. The skin is very smooth to the touch.
This tangy flavored fruit is white with a yellow waxy peel. This is a smaller melon than most.
Orange Flesh Honeydew
This fruit is very similar to a honeydew. The only real difference is that the actual fruit is orange instead of green.
A pepino is a funky looking melon. It’s got weird stripes with whitish fruit inside it.
The Santa Claus melon is also known as a Christmas melon. It has a smooth green skin and white flesh. The flavor is similar to a honeydew melon.
Watermelon is probably the most common member of the melon family. It has a green striped skin that is smooth and a super sweet red flesh.
This is similar to the traditional watermelon, however it’s skin is a darker green and the flesh is bright yellow.
Five Tasty and Nutritious Melon Recipes
Organic Melon Smoothie
- 2 cups organic melon cubes (your choice)
- 1 cup organic cantaloupe melon cubes
- 1 cup organic honeydew melon cubes
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 1/2 cup organic 100% orange juice
- Cube the melons as needed.
- Place the melon and ice cubes in a blender.
- Pour the juice over the melon and ice.
- Puree in the blender until smooth. For best results, serve in chilled glasses.
Summer Spice Watermelon Salad
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 organic white onion, cut into slices
- 2 pounds organic watermelon, cubed
- 1/4 cup organic lime juice
- 1 organic jalapeno chilli, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- 8 ounces organic feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Heat the vinegar in a saucepan until boiling.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Toss remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix the onions in with other ingredients and serve.
Cold Melon Mango Soup
- 1 organic cantaloupe melon, cubed
- 1 organic banana, sliced
- 3 organic mangos, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Fresh mint leaves and raspberries to garnish
- Place the cantaloupe, banana, and half of the mango chunks in a blender.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Place the blended ingredients and the separate mango cubes in the fridge for several hours to chill.
- Divide the mango chunks into dessert bowls. Pour the melon mix over the cubes. Garnish each dish with a mint leaf and a few berries.
Melon Fizz Drink
- 1 organic melon (your choice)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Club soda
- Cube the melon and place it in a blender.
- Add the honey to the blender and puree the melon, mixing in the honey.
- Fill an ice tray with the melon mix and freeze.
- When solid, place a few of the frozen cubes in a glass and pour club soda over them.
- 10 cups of organic watermelon, cantaloupe, or honeydew chunks (could also be a mixture of different types)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- Place melon chunks in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour the mix into a bowl and chill for 1 hour.
- Bring the water to a gentle boil over medium heat. Add the herbs and cook for several minutes.
- Remove the water from the heat and stir in the honey. Allow the mix to come to room temperature.
- Strain the water over the bowl of melon puree so the mint “tea” evenly covers it.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker following the machine’s instructions. Best if served right after freezing.
– The Alternative Daily