Are you trying to lose weight or making healthy changes, but the results seem to be coming too slow? Do you tend to focus more on the outcome and end result than on the day-to-day steps you’re taking?
When you focus on the outcome, instead of the process, you’ll be frustrated and wonder why you’re not making any progress. Allowing yourself to enjoy the journey will renew your energy and give you peace about your desired results. Plus, you’ll actually get the results you want and in less time than you originally thought.
The key to successfully reaching your ideal weight and balancing your body is taking one small step at a time and doing it well. Focus your energy on what you’re doing in this moment and make each decision count.
If you’re making dinner, give your energy only to that meal and enjoy what you’re doing. Don’t allow your mind to constantly waver to another place; stay present and fixed on your current actions.
Give yourself the gift of making everything you do throughout the day enjoyable, by thinking pleasant thoughts, saying kind words, or making your activity fun. Do things to the best of your ability. Just because you have obligations in life doesn’t mean you can’t have a good attitude about them.
Your attitude and emotions have an impact on your health, so when you’re staying positive and joyful (which, as a reminder, is a choice) you’re improving your health all the while.
Once you’re set on the results you’re trying to create (“set” means you know exactly what you want for your weight, health and body), let go of your attachment to when and how it happens. Do this by taking today one step at a time. Don’t worry about what’s happened in the past and don’t be entirely fixated on the future. The present moment and how you’re choosing to handle it is all that matters.
Here are some ways to stay focused on each step (and let go of the outcome):
- Be present when preparing and eating your meals
- Take time to schedule exercise and find ways to enjoy each activity
- Make morning time sacred and spend quiet time in gratitude
- Ignore negativity that surrounds you and choose positive thoughts
- Speak encouraging words to yourself and others throughout the day
- Smile even when things don’t go your way
- Savor each and every bite of your food
- Take time to get dressed for the day and do things that make you feel lovely
- When you let go of your attachment to the results you want, you find freedom. You learn to appreciate the process, or the “adventure” as we call it in my community, and life is that much more enjoyable. Your mind is often your biggest obstacle to getting healthier and balancing your body. Releasing any worry, doubt and fear by focusing on each step will liberate you and give you more motivation to stay on track.
- Practice focusing on the process today, doing one thing at a time, to the best of your ability. It’s okay to make mistakes and mess up (even on purpose), but choose to stay consistent even after you’ve had a bout of self-sabotage. The longer you stay on this journey and keep making healthy changes, the more likely you are to succeed.
Action Step: Take the time today to notice where you’re not being present and focusing on the actions you’re taking. Make the choice to stop worrying about future results and instead fix your mind on what you’re doing now.
As a keynote speaker, empowerment coach, author and spokesperson, Katie Humphrey inspires women to feel fit, confident and motivated. Her dynamic Revolution of YOU brand helps overwhelmed and stressed out women confidently reach their goals.