Everyone’s morning routine is different. For some people, waking up early and cooking a nutritious breakfast comes naturally. For others, the sound of the alarm is quickly silenced. Four snooze cycles later, we’re bolting out the door. The morning bolt-and-dash leaves little time for breakfast. There are several solutions to this problem. Here at The Alternative Daily, we’ve recommended a fantastic overnight oatmeal recipe. Other options include on-the-go fruit or nuts.
For those rushed morning people who crave a more hearty solution, a mini breakfast quiche may fit the bill. Simply make a batch of these delicious egg-filled cups over the weekend and grab one on your way out the door each morning during the week. Simple, effective and delicious.
Recipe for Homemade Breakfast Quiche
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 to 1 cup onion, finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, rough chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Use one tablespoon of coconut oil to grease a large muffin pan.
3. Heat large skillet over medium to high heat.
4. Add onions to dry pan and cook until they start to brown (around five minutes), stirring occasionally.
5. Add remaining coconut oil and chopped bell peppers.
6. Add chopped spinach and allow to wilt.
7. Put mixture aside and allow to cool.
8. Crack eggs into a large bowl with milk, salt and pepper. Whisk until thoroughly mixed.
9. Spoon small amounts of onion and veggie mixture into your muffin pan.
10. Add a little cheese to each section.
11. Pour egg mixture into each section of the muffin tray and add the remaining cheese.
12. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the egg mixture is thoroughly set.
13. Remove tray from oven and turn it upside down over a clean surface to cool.
14. Lift tray and shake out quiches.
Enjoy your homemade breakfast quiche and save some for tomorrow!
— Erin Wildermuth