I enjoy finding and using more natural remedies for different ailments. I am a pretty healthy person, but there are those times during cold and flu season that I can come down with a cold. We never know what we’re going to come in contact with when it comes to germs. That’s why I keep this recipe in the refrigerator so I can use it at the first signs of a cold or the flu.
This mix is easy to use when I’m feeling under the weather. I can get it out of the refrigerator, heat some water and add two to three tablespoons of the mix to my mug. It starts working right away when I start sipping it. I get quick relief from coughing due to the honey. It also soothes my sore throat and is a great cough suppressant. The lemon helps reduce inflammation. Ginger is great for settling upset stomachs, nausea and vomiting.
Cold and Flu Remedy Ingredients
- 3 lemons washed well and sliced thin
- 6 inches of ginger peeled and sliced thin
- Raw honey
- 12 oz mason jar with a lid
1. Gather the ingredients and the mason jar.
2. Wash the lemons and peel the ginger. Slice them very thin.
3. Layer the lemon and ginger alternately in the jar.
4. Pour honey into the jar and allow it to settle over the lemon and ginger. Continue filling until the jar is filled to the top.
5. Seal the jar tightly and store in the refrigerator. The mix will start to turn into a thin jelly.
When needed, put two to three tablespoons of the mix in a mug with hot water. Make sure to get a few pieces of the lemon and the ginger as well. Allow it to steep for at least three to four minutes before taking a sip.
— Leilani Hampton