Have you ever stopped to think about how happy or lousy you feel from the things you say on a regular basis? Your words have a bigger impact on your health than you realize.
Your motivation, energy, hormones and weight are effected by the words you speak.
Unless we’re intentional about what comes out of our mouths, we can easily get into the habit of toxic talk. This kind of language is rampant and it’s contributing to the way we look, feel and behave.
We tend to make up stories about why we’re not healthy or happy. We talk about our problems and forget about seeking a solution or learning from our circumstances. We make excuses and complain as if we have no power over our own lives and the choices we make.
If you want to improve your health, start by changing what you say. Below are 10 toxic phrases you might be using that are negatively impacting your body image, motivation, metabolism and self-confidence.
- I can’t afford it. Instead of focusing on lack, try thinking about how you could afford something that’s important to you. Abundance starts in the mind.
- I’ve tried that before. As Yoda once said, “Do or do not. There is no try.” If you’re truly committed to bettering your health, you won’t care how many times you have to take action. You will always succeed if you never quit.
- I can’t help it. Captain von Trapp from The Sound of Music said it best: “You can help it. You must help it.” Saying you can’t help something is almost always said in regards to bad behavior. Your behavior is just a habit, and a habit is something you can change.
- I don’t know. If there’s something for which you desperately need a solution, like, let’s say your weight loss problem, recognize that you can find the answer if you seek it. Instead of focusing on what you don’t know, spend time finding out.
- But, I’m too… Whether you think you’re too old, young, fat, thin, uneducated, or too good at failing, understand that as long as there’s breath in you, things can change. Don’t let your shortcomings hold you back. Use them to your advantage.
- I know all this. If you’re not doing it, if you don’t live it, you don’t know it. If you do know it, learn it again and get better. Be better.
- I don’t have the time. We all have the same amount of time in a day. Find the time for what’s important. Exercise, eat well and treat yourself as if your life depended on it.
- I can’t. Never say you can’t do something. The truth is that you can do anything. You either will or you won’t.
- I don’t have what it takes. In the book, The Moses Code, the author says something brilliant. “God doesn’t call the qualified. He qualifies the called.” If there’s an opportunity in front of you, it means you can handle it. You will find that you have what it takes because this journey will equip you with what you need to succeed.
- It’s not my fault. It doesn’t matter whose fault it is. Take responsibility for your life, the state of your health and the results you’re getting. Boldly decide to take a new path if the current one your on isn’t what you want.
Action Step: Starting right now, become aware of the words you’re saying and how they’re impacting your health…from your moods and energy to your weight and hormonal health. Choose powerful words based on the future you want to create.
– Katie Humphrey
As a keynote speaker, empowerment coach, author and spokesperson, Katie Humphrey inspires women to feel fit, confident and motivated. Her dynamic Revolution of YOU brand helps overwhelmed and stressed out women confidently reach their goals.