Some call it a sweet tooth, others excuse the desire with evolutionary tales of a sugar-sparse environment where our ancestors struggled to meet their physical needs. The outcome is the same: every so often you just need something sweet. That doesn’t mean your snack has to be sugar-packed or bad for you though. There are a number of simple, sweet snacks that can be perfectly healthy when consumed in moderation. This pomegranate coconut mousse is one example.
Pomegranate has been linked with a range of health benefits including reducing heart disease, lowering cholesterol and even working as an anti-carcinogen. Coconut is also a great addition to your diet. Benefits include a healthy dose of fiber, natural electrolytes and lauric acid. Coconut is also rich in manganese, potassium and phosphorus. It can even help you to lose weight.
Try out this simple pomegranate coconut mousse recipe and let us know what you think!
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 tsp gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp coconut flakes
1. Pour 1/4 cup of pomegranate juice into a bowl and sprinkle with gelatin powder.
2. Boil the rest of the juice and honey.
3. Add the boiling juice-honey mixture to your room temperature juice-gelatin mixture. Mix until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
4. Pour the whole bowl back into your saucepan and bring to simmer.
5. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
6. Add coconut milk and vanilla extract.
7. Refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes — it should thicken, but not be so thick that it will not pour.
8. Blend until fluffy, pour into individual serving cups and refrigerate for an additional four hours.
9. Garnish with coconut flakes and serve.
— Erin Wildermuth