Some over-the-counter non-alcohol based hand sanitizers may contain an antibiotic compound called triclosan. Recent studies have raised many questions about triclosan being harmful to human health.
There are a few dangers that you should know about if you are using this type of hand sanitizer. Triclosan may be lowering your ability to fight diseases by killing off good bacteria, increasing your need to use antibiotics. However, overexposure to antibiotics can lead to bacterial resistance, making it much more difficult to treat. Then you’ll need more and more antibiotics, continuing the cycle of killing off good bacteria.
Best to avoid all of that. That’s why I am so glad I have this homemade hand sanitizer in my purse and at home. It is such a simple recipe and can be mixed up in no time. If you have a friend or relative that struggles with the overuse of hand sanitizer, you will want to get this to them as well. They will be able to use this mix as often as they want, without worrying about any side effects.
- 3 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 2 tbsp witch hazel
- 8 caps vitamin E oil
- 20 drops melaleuca essential oil
- 15 drops wild orange essential oil
- Small travel size flip top plastic bottle
1. Gather your supplies and plastic bottle.
2. Measure the aloe vera gel and the witch hazel and place in a small bowl.
3. Pierce vitamin E caps and squeeze into the same glass bowl.
4. Pour aloe vera gel and witch hazel into a small glass bowl and mix well.
5. Add drops of melaleuca and wild orange and mix again.
6. Using a funnel, carefully pour mix into the bottle.
When ready to use, squeeze a small amount of gel into your hand and rub it in. The scent alone is simply amazing. You will probably find yourself looking for excuses to use it often. Since this is a more natural approach, you may use it as often as needed. This will store for a long time too. Enjoy!
— Leilani Hampton