Chances are, you’ve probably heard about colon cleansing some time in the past few years. Apparently, virtually everyone’s colon could do with a good flushing out every now and then, on account of all the toxic sludge that builds up along the lining of the colon over time.
It’s just that the thought of getting a tube stuck up my butt and water jetted up through my colon really doesn’t float my boat. And there’s plenty of other people who’d agree.
But while colon hydrotherapy undoubtedly works, it’s not the only way to cleanse your colon. In fact, one of the most effective colonic cleanse therapies is also one of the easiest and most cost effective. It turns out that in addition to making your food taste darn delicious, sea salt can also help to make your colon squeaky clean again.
Signs you need to cleanse your colon
While most of us could certainly benefit from a colon cleanse, there’s some people that are so “backed up” in their colon that it’s dramatically and negatively affecting their daily lives. Here are some common signs to look out for if your colon is in a sorry state:
- Digestive problems: this one might seem like a fairly obvious sign, but you’d be surprised at how many people overlook the root cause of their digestive issues. Digestive problems that might be related to a blocked colon include constipation, diarrhea, gas and bloating.
- Fatigue: if the lining of your colon is thickly coated in accumulated waste, it can’t absorb many of the nutrients you need from the food you eat. Not only that, in this instance your body is also working overtime to rid itself of all those toxins hiding out in your colon, which saps a lot of energy.
- Weight gain: if your colon is partially blocked, your key waste elimination mechanism doesn’t work as efficiently as it should. This means more waste hanging out in your digestive tract, and more pounds on your frame!
- Bad breath and body odor: if it seems like no matter how much your shower and put deodorant on, you still smell… it could be your colon. Your body secretes toxins via the sweat glands (a high concentration of which are in your armpits), and if your colon is backed up with toxins that’s probably why you smell so much!
Drink sea salt and water in the morning to cleanse your colon
Regardless of whether you show signs of these symptoms or not, you could almost certainly benefit from a colon cleanse. But rather than seeking out your nearest spa or alternative clinic for an expensive round of colon hydrotherapy, a simple salt water flush can provide a similar treatment without the cost, embarrassment or invasiveness.
It’s important to remember, however, that not all salt is created equal! Sodium and table salt have acquired quite a bad name for themselves in recent decades, and for the most part, this nasty reputation is well deserved. But sea salt is a whole different kettle of fish: because it remains in its original, un-denatured form, it retains all of the essential vitamins and nutrients that enable our bodies to process the sodium more efficiently.
This not only means that it’s difficult to get too much natural salt in your diet (even if you suffer from hypertension or cardiovascular complications!); it also means that you get a wide range of other health benefits simply by consuming this wonderfully natural salt. These benefits include:
- lowered inflammation in muscles and organs
- improved nerve function
- boosted immunity
- improved digestion
- balanced hormones
- regulated internal pH
…and plenty more besides. Suffice to say that a little more natural, unrefined sea salt in your life is definitely a good thing.
What better catalyst, then, to use for your natural DIY colon cleanse? Simply by drinking sea salt with water and perhaps a dash of lemon juice every morning can help to cleanse your colon and provide all of the awesome health benefits I mentioned above.
Sea salt colon flush recipe
As far as recipes go, this one is fairly easy. But that’s definitely a good thing: easy recipes are far easier to commit to!
In a large glass jar, mix together 2 cups of warm filtered water, 2 teaspoons of pure, unrefined sea salt (I like Celtic Gray Salt), and an optional tablespoon of lemon juice. The lemon juice makes the salty water more palatable, but it’s not essential.
Shake the jar until the salt is fully dissolved; if there’s still salt at the bottom of the jar after a thorough shaking, you may need to add a little more water.
Drink your sea salt flush immediately upon waking, preferably within the first 5 minutes. This allows the salt flush to work faster on an empty stomach.
Avoid going to the bathroom for as long as possible — the longer you wait, the more time the salt flush has to initiate your body’s inbuilt waste detox system and to begin clearing out your colon. You may find that you need to go to the bathroom more than once over the next couple of hours as your body completes the colon purge. Roll with it; you’re well on your way to a healthy colon!
— Liivi Hess