Magnesium is needed to help our bodies transport calcium across cell membranes and bone matter. But all too often, we don’t get enough of it. Magnesium deficiency comes from a poor diet, chronic stress, alcohol abuse and poorly controlled diabetes. We can all probably relate to at least one of those — especially stress!
A magnesium deficiency can lead to a range of chronic health issues. Just to name a few: calcium deficiency, poor heart health, weakness, anxiety and high blood pressure. You can also add type 2 diabetes, respiratory issues, fatigue, poor memory and confusion to the list.
This lotion can help to increase your intake of magnesium naturally. It also increases energy, calms anxiety and nervousness, and relieves muscle aches and pains. It also regulates levels of calcium, potassium and sodium, which are important for heart health, migraine relief and osteoporosis prevention.
Magnesium Lotion Ingredients
- 1/2 cup magnesium chloride flakes
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp emulsifying wax (used to keep it together)
- 3 tbsp shea butter
- 20 drops ylang-ylang essential oil (optional)
- 20 drops juniper berry essential oil (optional)
- Container with lid
1. Gather all of the ingredients and measure them out, except for the oils.
2. Add 3 tbsp boiling water to the 1/2 cup magnesium flakes. Mix until completely dissolved.
3. Place oils and wax in a microwaveable measuring cup and place in the microwave. Heat slowly until all is melted.
4. Let cool to room temperature.
5. Pour oils, wax and the dissolved magnesium into a bowl. Add the essential oils.
6. Slowly mix using an immersion blender until evenly combined.
7. Place in the refrigerator for a few minutes to cool. Mix again until you achieve a very thick and creamy consistency.
8. When ready to use, start with one teaspoon at a time, then work your way up if needed. When your symptoms of magnesium deficiency start to disappear, stay at current level or reduce your use slightly.
This lotion can be applied to any part of your body, but it works especially well on the bottoms of your feet. When applied to your feet at bedtime, this magnesium lotion acts as a natural sleep aid as well. It can also be applied on aching backs, legs, necks and shoulders.
Store magnesium lotion in the refrigerator and use within two months.
— Leilani Hampton