Chai lattes are a healthy alternative to morning coffee, but the price tag on decent chai is through the roof. Instead of purchasing expensive mixes or spending your hard-earned cash at pricey coffee shops, you can make chai at home using simple ingredients and an even simpler procedure.
As an added bonus you can sweeten and spice your beverage to taste. Instead of sweetening with sugar, try raw honey. Organic honey has been identified as a great source of antioxidants among a host of other health benefits.
Watch this video to see how!
Homemade Chai Recipe
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2-inch root ginger, sliced
- 8 cardamom pods
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 4 black tea bags
1. Add spices and sweetener to 6 cups of water.
2. Bring water to boil.
3. Once you’ve hit the boiling point, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, add 4 black tea bags and cover for 10 minutes.
6. Tea can be refrigerated for up to seven days. Mix with milk and reheat to serve.
— Erin Wildermuth