You put them in chili, you put them in soup, and you may even top your salad with them, but have you ever, ever, thought about putting them in brownies? This is unlikely because most people do not associate beans with desert.
However, black bean brownies are a great way to benefit from all of the wonderful nutritive properties of beans and enjoy a tasty treat at the same time.
Black beans are high in soluble fiber, which reduces cholesterol levels and lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease. In addition, the antioxidants, minerals, manganese and zinc in beans promotes a healthy heart. Flavonoids, phytonutrients and antioxidants protect you from cancer while the folate and vitamin B6 keep the nervous system functioning at its best.
Consuming black beans on a regular basis is great for healthy digestion.The protein and fiber in the beans pushes food through the digestive tract, thus lessening the burden on the digestive system while keeping blood sugar levels steady.
If you love dessert but hate the thought of compromising your health for a sweet treat, try this delicious and healthy recipe.
Black Bean Brownies
Don’t knock these until you give them a try. We were curious, so we whipped up a batch and they were a hit. We are sold on the black bean brownies, and we think you will be too.
- 1 1/2 cups of soaked and cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons organic dutch cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup of quick oats (gluten-free are best)
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut crystals
- 1/4 cup organic virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup organic dark chocolate chips
- Crushed walnuts, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place all of the ingredients minus the chips in a food processor and process until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Stir the chips into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased (with organic coconut oil) 8×8 pan.
- Cook for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Add crushed walnuts on top.
- Let the brownies cool for at least ten minutes before serving.
-The Alternative Daily