This super simple recipe will have your guests asking for more and convince them that you truly are a chef! Banana Squash is loaded with Vitamins A & C, potassium and iron. Combined with the sweetness of the apple, cinnamon and nutmeg, you will consider this dessert! I always double this recipe as it disappears in minutes and it tastes even better the next day.
BANANA SQUASH SOUP WITH APPLES
- 1 ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ lb banana squash, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dill weed
- ¼ tbsp. ground pepper
- 18 oz low sodium fat free organic chicken broth
- 1 Organic Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup fat-free sour-cream
- In a soup pot, sauté 1 cup onion and the celery in 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the banana squash and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the dill, ground pepper and chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, sauté remaining onion in ½ tsp olive oil over medium high heat for 3 minutes. Add apple, cinnamon and nutmeg, sauté for 3 minutes then remove from heat.
- Place the soup pot mixture and fat free sour cream into a blender and blend until smooth. Return to the soup pot and add the apple and onion mixture. Simmer for 4 minutes. Serve hot or chilled.
Makes 8 servings
– Nancy Kennedy
Nancy Kennedy is Hollywood’s Premiere Nutrition Expert and Trainer to The stars. She is also a well known Spokesperson for many Corporate Brands, a columnist, and the author of The Hollywood Wrap, Rodale. Nancy’s signature style can even be found on her line of healthy fast foods available in Southern California and soon nationwide!