So, you have the munchies and you really feel like something to dip your veggies or whole grain chips in. The typical processed snack dip has over 40 ingredients in it, including some that are very hard to pronounce, making this a not so good-for-you option.
Why not try a healthier dip? The following recipes are good and good for you.
South West Layer Dip
This tasty layer dip is full of great healthy vegetables, and packed with protein thanks to the beans. Use reduced fat sour cream for a lighter taste and serve with organic corn chips, or better yet, fresh organic veggies.
- 1 can organic refried beans
- 1 can organic black beans
- 4 organic scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup organic salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 cup organic jalapenos, sliced
- 1 cup organic cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat organic sour cream
- 1 1/2cup chopped organic romaine lettuce
- 1 medium organic tomato,chopped
- 1 medium organic avocado, chopped
- Combine the beans, scallions, salsa, spices, and jalapeños in a large microwave safe bowl. Top the mixture with cheese and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Smooth the sour cream over the bean mixture.
- Top the dip with lettuce, tomato, and avocado pieces. Serve warm.
Spinach is an extremely health leafy green that tastes great too. Combine this great veggie with organic cream cheese for a filling dip that will amaze friends and family.
- 1 organic shallot, peeled
- 1 can organic water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup organic cream cheese
- 1/2 cup organic cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup organic plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces organic baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped organic chives
- Put all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Best if served chilled.
Creamy Herb Dip
This delicious and low calorie dip combines the great flavors of herbs with the creaminess of buttermilk. Best if served with sliced veggies.
- 1/2 cup organic buttermilk
- 1/3 cup organic mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Whisk all ingredients in a bowl together.
- Place in fridge for 1 hour before serving.
This yummy chickpea dip is high in protein and low in calories. Serve with pita, chips, veggies, or homemade gluten-free crackers for a great anytime snack.
- 2 cans organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 organic cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup of tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place the chickpeas and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until creamy.
- Add water and remaining ingredients. Pulse until well mixed.
- Add additional spices according to taste and serve.
This fall-flavored dip is loaded with vitamin C and has a great taste. Perfect to serve with sweet potato chips or your favorite fruit slices.
- 3/4 cup organic cream cheese
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup organic canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and pumpkin in a bowl, and mix well with an electric mixer.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix in.
- Serve after chilling for 30 minutes.
-The Alternative Daily