Treatments at the spa, luxurious massages, and all-inclusive beach vacations may sound great when we’re feeling anxious, stressed, or overworked. But in reality, very few of us have the money (or time) to indulge in these luxuries.
Fortunately, there are quick, easy, and totally free ways to relax and re-center ourselves when we’re feeling frustrated or overwhelmed. Whether it’s doing some relaxing stretches, enjoying a cup of herbal tea, or treating yourself to a self-massage session, this list of 50 de-stressing techniques has strategies everyone can adopt!
1. Write down your feelings in a journal.
2. Listen to your favorite song.
3. Go for a walk.
5. Do something creative.
6. Rearrange your furniture.
7. Do some relaxing stretches.
8. Sing your favorite song.
9. Take a hot bath.
10. Practice deep breathing.
11. Make a date with your best friend.
12. Play with your pet.
13. Take a nap.
14. Watch your favorite movie.
15. Volunteer your time.
16. Enjoy a cup of herbal tea.
17. Try self-massage.
18. Take some time to make yourself a healthy meal.
19. Watch some funny or cute videos on YouTube.
20. Visualize a relaxing setting or situation.
21. Eat a healthy, high protein snack.
22. Roll your feet over a tennis ball for a DIY foot massage.
23. Sniff a relaxing essential oil like lavender or rosemary.
24. Eat a square of raw, organic dark chocolate.
25. Take 5 minutes of alone time.
26. Head outside.
27. Take a dance break.
28. Do a crossword, Sudoku, or any other ‘brain game.’
29. Make some fresh coffee and enjoy the smell.
30. Cuddle with a partner.
31. Visualize or plan your next vacation.
32. Enjoy a glass of red wine.
33. Give someone else a compliment.
34. Light incense.
35. Get a friend or partner to give you a massage.
36. Look at old photos.
37. Read a poem.
38. Go for a long, scenic drive.
39. Go to bed early.
40. Give someone a hug.
41. Talk to a positive friend about how you feel.
42. Listen to classical music or any other relaxing tunes.
43. Turn down the lights and break out some candles.
44. Try ‘conscious relaxation’ by tensing and relaxing all of your muscles from head to toe.
45. Make a list of 10 things you’re grateful for.
46. Watch a nature documentary.
48. Repeat positive affirmations like ‘I love and approve of myself’ and ‘I trust my inner wisdom and intuition.’
49. Have sex.
The next time you find yourself worked up and needing a quick, free, or easy way out, try one or more of these. Your mind and body will thank you.
-The Alternative Daily