8 Great Yoga Moves You Can Do At Your Desk

We do a lot of sitting these days. In fact, only 20 percent of jobs include some sort of physical exertion… meaning that the other 80 percent are all sedentary in nature.

Logging these long hours hunched over computers, seated in meetings or making telephone calls has not only contributed to our growing backsides and poor posture, but is also responsible for our nation’s declining health.

While most people are aware of the benefits of yoga, few actually practice it. Which is a shame since research has shown that individuals who practice yoga regularly often enjoy better overall health and increased immunity, which can really come in handy when your co-workers are passing around germs left and right.

However, with logging eight, ten or even twelve hour days, running errands and taking care of a family, it may seem impossible to add one more item to the list. The good news? There are several easy yoga moves you can do right from your desk. Here are eight you can try this week.

Arm stretch. Interlock your fingers together behind your back. Keeping your arms straight, lift them as high as you can while lifting your sternum. Hold for 30-45 seconds and release. Repeat for eight to ten repetitions, remembering to breath slowly and deeply.

Chair twist.

Sit on the edge of your chair sideways with your feet flat on the floor and knees touching. Slowly twist around until you can grasp the chair back. As you inhale straighten your spine, and as you exhale try to stretch the back further by using your hands to gently assist a deeper twist. Repeat for eight to ten repetitions and switch sides.

Seated lower back stretch. While seated, widen your stance so that your feet are wider than hip-distance. Bending from your hips, lower your upper body as low as you can go, allowing your neck and shoulder muscles to relax and hang down freely. Slowly roll up and repeat.

Chair warrior pose. Place your chair against a wall and stand with your left side toward the front of the chair, keeping your feet about 2 ½ to 3 feet apart. Place your left foot on the chair and extend your arms from your sides to shoulder-height with palms facing downward. Slowly bend your left knee into a right angle, keeping your right knee straight and right heel on the ground. Hold the position for 20-30 seconds and release. Repeat for a few repetitions and switch sides.

Tree pose. Begin by standing with your feet together. Slowly slide one foot up along the inside of the opposite leg until it reaches your thigh. Press your heel into your thigh and your thigh into your heel. If you have trouble maintaining balance, perform this move against a wall for support.

Seated hamstring stretch. Sit close to the edge of your chair. Extend one leg out in front of you with the toes pointing upward, allow the other leg to bend naturally. Keeping a straight back, gently lean forward at the hips until you feel the stretch along the hamstring. Repeat for a few repetitions and switch legs.This move can also be performed using both legs at once.

Neck stretch. While either seated or standing, maintain a straight back and tilt your head in one direction. Assist the stretch with your hand by reaching across the top of your head and applying gentle pressure. With your other arm, point your fingers down to the ground until you feel the stretch throughout the neck. Release and switch sides.

Mountain pose. Standing with your feet hip-width apart, raise both arms directly over your head with palms facing forward. Lean back as far as you can to open up the chest muscles. Repeat for eight to ten repetitions.

neck stretchThese moves can be performed daily in the comfort of your cubicle. While they seem simple, they can provide you with a number of benefits. Some research has shown that yoga is effective at improving sleep patterns, while another study indicates that regular practice can reduce the number and severity of migraine headaches.

Additionally, the increased mind-body awareness also helps keep food cravings and mindless eating tendencies in check, which will also help guard against weight-gain.

-The Alternative Daily


Recommended Articles